Inspired? Perhaps.

As many people who have an interest in the sport, I've been following the GB Judo team through their Olympic trials.


I'm writing this just after Gemma Gibbons has won a place in the London 2012 Judo final ending a long run of British Judo being without an Olympic medal.

Medals are great, and I'm really pleased for her and of course hope she wins in the final, but what I'm most impressed with is the way she has been winning with good throws and scores. Not just clinging on to a yuko or trying to force penalty scores out of her opponents.


For all my cynicism about the marketing machine and inspiring people and so on, I kind of do feel a bit like that. While it's miles too late for me to fight at the Olympics I can still try and build a Judo competitive career in the masters (oldies) circuit.

The weight loss is continuing, around 91Kg now, so I think I'll be trying to get safely below 90Kg and stay there as my new fighting category. Arguably if I want to be serious I should be aiming for the next category down (81Kg) but I'm not sure that's a realistic target long term.

I was hoping to make it to this years British Masters tournament - it would be my last chance for this age group, but with losing my job I simply can't afford to travel to Ireland for a Judo competition. The mortgage and debt payments has to come first :((

I wish I were good enough to secure sponsorship, but I don't think 1 British Masters gold medal warrants sponsorship.

Go Gemma!


EDIT:
After a bit of digging around the web, I reckon I'd have to find £300 to fight in Belfast. That's a no go then :(
Really wanted to this year.

Comments

Popular Posts