Busy Judo weekend - but competing this time

So many of my weekends are taken up by refereeing, coaching or area responsibilities that on the occasion I get to have a fighting weekend I never feel that confident. I always feel I am entering events to judge where I stand compared to others of equal grade.

Saturday 15/3/14 - USIST

On saturday, I was originally planning to be reffing at the Sheffield uni team event. Turns out I was needed to make up the numbers in the heavy category as our regular heavy had let his BJA licence expire.

It went well. We took bronze, with me personally winning 2 of 3 fights. Including one against a chap that was around 30Kg heavier than me, so that was a good confidence boost. And to get a win like that in front of my students at my club was even better.

Ultimately Munster won (again), with Warwick taking Silver. I forget who the other bronze medal team were, possibly London.

Sunday 16/3/14 - Samurai masters & high grades

Samurai Judo club in Kidderminster do a fantastic job of putting on events to meet demands from various sections of the Judo community. From Masters events for the older players (Over 30), events split by grade for the higher grades to go for points and events for the newer players.

They also do a great job of giving people as many contests as possible, choosing round robin format rather than 2 small pools for example.

Sunday was one of the events that are made for folks like me - the High grades and masters. A simple premise, get together as many dan grades as possible and let them batter each other for promotion points, that's the high grades.

I entered the 3rd dan section.

High grades - 3rd dans

With 6 fights here, I won 4. Two by ippon, one by yuko and one was only decided by a single shido. A wins a win, but only ippons count for promotion points so I felt a little disappointed I couldn't finish off those two with ippon. Still, that was enough for bronze and 20 promotion points.

Masters U40 +90Kg

As is usual for Samurai Judo club, they explored the options to make the event as fair as possible while giving everyone as many fights as possible. As such I ended up in a section for those under 40 years old and over 90Kg, ie open weight.

Of four fights, I won two (both ippons). Unfortunately no promotion points to be claimed here as they were lower grades, but I was happy to be beating guys that seemed bigger/stronger.

Open

When there is time at the end of an event, Samurai will often run an open event. Namely anyone can enter have have a go. Feeling a bit tender by this point I was hesitating to enter, but I'm glad I did. I figured I'd travel for 2 and a half hours to get there and face the same journey back, I may as well make the most of it.

My first contest was against a smaller 4th dan. I had the weight and power advantage, he was fast and energetic. I ended up squashing on of his attacks and working round for a hold for ippon. 10 more promotion points secured.

I then got smashed by a cracking uchi mata by the eventual gold medallist, so got another fight through the repercharge. A fight I won to secure bronze.

Summary

Saturday

Total fights: 3
Wins: 2
Medals: bronze

Sunday

Total fights: 13
Wins: 8
Medals: 3 bronze
Promotion points: 30 closer to 4th dan

Comments

Popular Posts