BJA National B referee exam

Time to try again.

Having failed my B grade referee badge back in September at the 2015 Heart of England event I tried again at the Kent International event on the weekend of 25th and 26th June 2016.

Preparation and admin

After months of revision leading up to the event I contacted the organisers to ask about accommodation as I hadn't heard anything with just a week a to go. Turns out I wasn't on the list as attending. Apparently they weren't aware there was an exam being run at the event.

With the help of the senior ref who entered me for the exam, it got sorted. Turns out there was a cockup with admin via the BJA.

Being a two day event and the exam was on Sunday (seniors) I figured it'd be a good idea to ref on the Saturday too as a warm up.  Given I was to travel over 200 miles to the event, I was hardly considered a local ref. That and the confusion over being there meant I ended up only asking for accommodation on the Saturday night and offering to sort own accommodation for Friday.

That all helped reduce the pressure and keep calm before the exam!

Saturday reffing

Saturday was a long hard day, concentrating 8.30 - 1830 trying to get not only to get decisions right but thinking about my signals, appropriate etiquette and absorbing advice from senior refs I was working with.

I do feel it helped me feel more prepared for the exam and helped me focus and relax a little.

Sunday reffing / The exam

Having attempted the National B exam in 2015 I had a fair idea what to expect during the exam today. The theory bit went fine, I'd been studying the rule book for a while!

Now for the practical part. I felt it went reasonably well, with a couple of questionable moments. For example when uke's nose exploded with blood as his face hit the mat during a throw. I called matte to get the bleeding sorted - which of course deprived tori of a chance for the osae-komi (thankfully for me, if not the the player! He couldn't continue as the bleeding wouldn't stop).

I was surprised I wasn't expected to ref in the middle all the time, rather it was just as a normal event with time in the middle rotating off and judging too.

The result

So I was last of all the refs being examined (apparently once it was decided there would be an exam, the area used it to examine a couple of other C->B candidates and area->C candidates) to be called to hear the verdict.

It was a pass, a strong pass by all accounts. 

Suddenly all that pressure I'd put myself under lifted and I felt a massive relief! 

So I'm now BJA National B grade referee :)

So in terms of personal achievements, this feels to me like an achievement at least as significant and probably more than the London Marathon.

What it took to get to National B

Since National C

Lots of stress put on me by myself.

Numerous (usually out of date re rule interpretations) coaches and players complaining about decisions, at times being very rude towards me.

Nearly 60 events over 5 years and the time/travelling involved, including not only competitions but referee seminars (local and national).











Kent International / exam weekend itself

Costs of travelling to events over a number of years, most contribute to the costs but because of circumstances reffing at the Kent International in 2016 probably cost me in the region of £250.

A 200 mile trip each way from home, including an unintentional jaunt through some parts of London on the way home!




Comments

Popular Posts