The new Judo season is upon us

An early start

This year my Judo season kicked off a week earlier than usual with reffing duties at the British Masters in Kidderminster.

My first experience using the CARE video system and the new rules was largely positive, I don't think there were any big errors on my part which I'm happy with. Being alone on the mat was surprisingly good, maybe not so if I didn't have the camera backup when needed.

However, with only 1 camera in operation on the mat I was working it seemed to me we may have been better using the 3 ref system rather than 1 ref + 1 one camera. With the 3 ref system the action is viewed from at least 2 angles and usually 3. With only 1 video camera the action is viewed from at least 1, but no more than 2 angles.

Therefore while the video introduces the luxury of replays, it removes the 3rd opinion. In a 2+ camera system I think it would work really well, I remain to be convinced on a single camera solution.

University year starts

No doubt some of my readers will be aware I am involved with a student club (Sheffield university), providing coaching to various levels of player. Tomorrow (27th Sept) sees the annual sports fair, where all the sports clubs turn out, in uniform, to try and recruit the new student intake and persuade them how great their respective sports are.

Of course Judo will be well represented. With a number of our existing members being dressed in Judo kits parading round trying to persuade people to have a go with varying degrees of success. 

It always feels a little frustrating that the union put all the pyjama wearing sports together (Judo, Taekwondo, Aikido, Karate, JuJitsu - that's not a bad offering at one uni!) as well as other fighting sports (Boxing, Muai Thai etc). While this may work well for the visiting students that want to try some form of fighting sport or "self defence", I'm sure a large number of students miss out on the experience of MAs because it didn't occur to them to try it so they avoid that area of the hall.

It also makes recruitment hard as other clubs have been known to try and interrupt conversations to say why their style is 'better'.... it's mostly a good natured affair though and can be quite good fun. Especially the bit where we get up on stage and chuck each other about for 20 minutes - that always gets a good reaction. Somewhere between curiosity and fear I think!

It would appear that this year the first couple of sessions will be without our dedicated beginner coach, so I'll be organising 50 odd students from complete novice, attired  inappropriately, to seasoned dan grades (a couple of whom are competing at national level). 

It keeps things interesting. Hopefully it'll be fun for everyone.....

Comments

Popular Posts