Honoured

So once again I was nominated for a national volunteer award within the organisation (BJA), once again I didn't get it. However that's not what the title of this post is about.

A number of years ago a student started training at the university club I coach at. I think he was yellow or orange belt when he started but that's not important, he was a low grade.

He put in the graft and it paid off. Took his share of medals at competitions, when the BJA went to technical gradings his were always amongst the strongest gradings. Indeed when we awarded him his 1st kyu a good few years back now, he set the benchmark for 1st kyus to target in their gradings. Only one has come anywhere near since.

He won his 1st dan while he was with the club (one of the first I took from low grade through to black belt as coach) and still drops in when he work allows.

Last night was one of those occasions.

Before the session started he asked to have a word away from others. This is often a precursor to a "thanks but I'm moving on from the club" or "I'm having problems with an individual at the club" sort of chats, not this time.

He wanted to tell me he had recently got engaged. Fantastic news.

Better still he has honoured me by asking me to be his best man!

So first and foremost, congratulations to Chris and Rose.

Secondly - need ideas for a celebration for him (aka stag do)

Finally - if anyone wants to share some stories about/photos of Chris for a speech, please do let me have them!

Comments

Popular Posts