When is enough, enough?

How do you know when a particular interest has run it's course?

I've found in the last couple of years, my enthusiasm for Judo has been dropping. For a few reasons I think, not least of which is I find myself doing almost entirely teaching with no real training for myself.

It's been like that since my time as brown belt when I took over the running of my uni club. The moved to Sheffield and a year of someone else (much more experience than I) running the sessions ended up turning into me running the sessions more and more. In the last 12 months he may have been along 3 or 4 times.

As a coach I've been feeling less and less like the Judo Association has any interest in supporting, or even listening to, people at my level (grass roots coaches).

Why do I get this feeling? A number of things around the wholesale changing of the grading system and changes in coaching award process. Lots of rumor and hearsay about both but sometimes seems hard to track down real answers. For example not seeing the new grading syllabus until it was publicly available - I had players asking me what techniques are that I've never heard of.

I thought I had an understanding of what is required for me to move my old style 'Club Coach' award over to the new fangled UKCC. Today I read from one of the senior bods in BJA that my previous understanding was not right.

Really used to enjoy coaching, but recently it has lost a lot of its appeal. That is also having a knock on effect for my enthusiasm for Judo generally.

Am I continuing purely because I don't want to feel my 15 years in Judo haven't been wasted?
Perhaps I continue as I'd feel bad if two uni clubs folded because I give up Judo?
Maybe because it's my main social activity (though I'd have time for others if I stopped!)?

I don't know. If anyone out there can help me find the answers, please do!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
Don't let the buggers get you down!
Drop me an email or give me call, let's find a way to make this fun for you. I know you are not the only BJA coach considering walking away.
Lance.
DaFoot said…
Thanks LanceW, glad it's not just me! (really should switch on email notifications of comments!)

Popular Posts