Bit closer to 3rd dannage :)

On Sunday I decided to have another go at point gathering for 3rd dan. This was a grading event put on exclusively for dan grades by SKK Judo club.

The last go (nearly 2 years ago) I got soundly bounced about the mat, got 10 points and a painful ankle that day. Ankle still clicks!

So I was a bit nervous about Sunday, but needn't have been. Had four matches, won 2 and lost 2.

1: He goes for a gari of some description, both land on side as I do my usual thing of trying to turn opponent onto back during fall. One of us got waza-ari, but not sure who!
I was quicker to react on the ground and spun round to pin with a Mune-gatame ish hold for the point (not sure if it was waza-ari awesete or full ippon!).

2: Very quickly got dumped for ippon fith a drop Seoi-nage. That guy was quick, think he threw all of us with that same technique.

3: I win with my o-soto-gari -> o-soto-maki-komi combination that seems to have become something of a tokui waza for me. Win inside a minute I think with full ippon score :)

4: Longest match I think... he wins in the end with seoi nage (seems I'm leaving myself open for that one somehow as he scored 2 waza-aris with it in same match..). Pleased with my fighting in this match though, as I escaped a couple of fairly secure pins. Managed to move about in the ne-waza parts of the fight in ways I've never done before, almost felt like I knew what I was doing on the ground for a change. A very welcome change it was.


So after 2 point gathering events I have 30 of the target 100 points. More importantly after Sundays performance I'm starting to feel more confident that I should be going for my 3rd dan and I'm not being totally unrealistic.

I also bumped into one of the 1st dans from Sheffield club who was going for his 2nd dan. He finished the day on 90 points, just missed out on getting his Nidan. Does of course mean I now have to double my efforts if I'm to stay a grade ahead... sorry Archi!

Blogged with the Flock Browser

Comments

Popular Posts