Got my 3rd...

...no, I lie I didn't :(

Grading at High Wycombe last weekend saw my (better?) half get her last points needed for her 1st dan. Not seen her so happy in some time!

Which also make me happy as her coach, she will be the 1st person I've taken from novice all the way to dan grade on my own. Sure other guys have got black belts with my help but they came to me as blues or browns or left me at around that level and got it later. Helen started her Judo in my class and has progressed all the way to 1st dan in my class :D

At the same event I picked up 10 points. 4 2nd dans there, 1st fight was against a chap 20Kg heavier and fighting on national circuit. He won very quickly.

Second fight I felt I should win but couldn't quite get my attacks in well enough. The he attacked with a left handed front throw - mistake! Big utsui goshi gave me ippon and 10 points.

Now on 92 points I had 1 fight to go against an older chap who, seeing his other fights, I felt fairly confident against. Was it to be my day for 3rd dan? Apparently he only had 10points to go as well, meaning when we fought one of us would get out 3rd dan and the other would miss out as it would be the last fight of the day for us.

Unfortunately he pulled out before we stepped onto the mat due to a sore/injured knee so we both stay on 2nd dan for now. Frustrating certainly, would've been good to have a joint celebration of Helen's 1st and my 3rd dan.

Nevermind, I'd rather beat someone properly than someone that was only playing at half capacity because of injury. It'll be mine next time! I'd better get that theory done!!

Comments

Popular Posts