Another year is ending...

This time of year it seems traditional to review the previous year and work out if happy with it and what you might change.

It's been a very busy Judo year for me this year. Newly qualified as C ref, coaching, area committee commitments, maintaining area website (www.yhjudo.org.uk), competing.... in fact from September right through to early December I think every Sat/Sun was given to Judo.

As much as I enjoy most of these things and I do volunteer to do them, it's still nice to have a break. Coaching won't resume until mid-January when the students return then it's prep for our annual team competition. Talking of students... occasionally I get a thankyou after a session from one of the students and the last couple of years the student committee of the club I coach at has given me some beer to say thanks from the club. Just before Christmas I was given a nice bottle of Port from one of the guys at the club as a thankyou which I shall be enjoying this weekend with some mouldy cheese :)

I'd say I'm mostly happy with my Judo stuff this year, though competitive results could have been stronger. I think that having lost lots of weight I'm still trying to work out how my fighting is changing/should change. Down to 93Kg now from 105Kg in the summer. So I tend to be one of the lighter guys in the group now (I was never the heaviest! ;) ). "Only" another 4Kg or so to go and I can fight in the <90Kg group. That will be different.

So generally a good year. What about 2012?
Well I'd like to continue to try and pick up grade points (starting the year with 30 in hand), so obviously competing is required - maybe the British masters again. Getting under 90Kg has to be a target, having lost so much weight in the last 6 months it would seem a waste not to lose the last few to get under.

Having said that I need to be careful not to injure myself as I have secured a place in the 2012 London Marathon! No doubt that will help the weight loss as I do my training. If you want to follow my progress BTW you can at bensmarathon.com or on Twitter @bensmarathon of course the website has links to my sponsoring pages ;)

Well here's to another year of Judo, let's raise a glass to achievements in 2011 and to endeavours in 2012.

Comments

Dr. AnnMaria said…
Wow, you sound like you're getting in great shape, good for you. I tried to get my husband to do judo to lose weight but he said he wasn't dong anything where people touched him unless he got to have sex with them at the end of it. So, no judo for him.
DaFoot said…
An interesting take on Judo! Have you seen the Sex Olympics adverts that were made by a condom manufacturer? Trojan I think it was.

Popular Posts