Gaining reffing confidence

Today I was reffereeing at the Yorkshire and Humberside closed competition. Over the course of the last few events I have felt my skills as a referee have been improving bit by bit.

Today was a good day, I felt confident in my decisions, focused on improving basics like clear and sharp signalling as I have previously been told this is my weak area.

More than that, we had some trainee refs on the mat today who would ask me for advice and opinions on the rules/scoring etc. As a new ref (a year as a BJA C now) I have always shied away from these queries, encouraging the trainees to consult a more experienced ref. Well today was a new experience, I felt comfortable and confident offering opinion and advice to those starting their traineeships.

Does this mean I'm growing into my ref grade? Much like I tell players I coach that they will grow into their dan grade.

Comments

Popular Posts