Turning into a belt factory

After the British Judo Association introduced technical gradings a few years back I was concerned we'd end up with large numbers of Judo "players" who only see progress as being able to identify waza and don't associate progress in any way with competitive ability.

It's finally starting to happen.

So I recently had a pre-start-of-year meeting with the university club committee. I left that meeting with a strong feeling that their main aim is to get pretty belts rather than learn and develop in Judo.

Somehow I need to get the club members back to thinking about getting better first, grades will follow. Feels at the moment students just want to turn the club into a grade factory... "learn" the waza printed in the syllabus and demand a grade.

Of course to these beginners (around 1 academic year of practice, not even a full year) belts is what they see as progress, and yes belts are there to measure progress, but the aim of Judo should be to learn Judo not a tick box exercise for pretty belts.

 I'm not sure what I'm doing in sessions that is encouraging the grade over Judo zeitgeist, but I need to change it and fast! Otherwise I suspect I'll find myself moving.... perhaps to go and work with the Sheffield Hallam Judo club instead of the Sheffield uni one.

That'd be a shame after coaching at the uni club for over a decade.

Comments

Popular Posts