Reffing progress

So I've been reffing a number of years now, 12 months ago passing my BJA National B exam at the Kent International competition.

It seems that is starting to open doors as I get more invites to referee from around the country. Most recently in Edinburgh at the Sportif competition. Driving up on Friday, reffing Saturday and driving back on Sunday was a tiring weekend, but enjoyable.

The senior ref I was working with was mostly complementary, perhaps need to be a bit harder on penalties but I knew I needed to work on that. Stop giving the players the benefit of the doubt about infringements.

Still, it felt positive.

Next big event prior to that was the national student Judo competition, BUCS. Held in Sheffield each year, it's easy for me to get to. This year was a new experience in that I had a reffing assessment while I was there, which consisted of the senior ref on my mat scoring various aspects of my performance.

Just so happened he was the ref that examined me for my B badge too!

I got a solid B rating back from that, a couple of comments on what I would consider subjective things but a solid score for a B ref, which is reassuring that I'm at the right level.

You know what else is nice? Being able to write a post that is positive! I'm aware a lot of my posts can be a bit ranty so it feels nice to buck that trend :)

Comments

Popular Posts