Aching today - but it was worth it!

Samurai masters and high grades competition

Yesterday (15/10/2017) I took part in the annual Samurai Masters & High Grades competition.

Always an interesting event, with a masters competition fought in the morning followed by another competition split by grade (1st kyu then dan grades, each grade having its own event).

This event attracts a range of players of diverse backgrounds and skill levels. Some very competitive players, some more "recreational" like me.

Masters competition

Masters events are for fighters over 30 (some events start at 35) and split by age and weight. You can see some very seasoned players in these events, also some relatively low grade players.

To start with a was quite downbeat by my morning performance in the masters section. Only winning 1 of four fights.

I took bronze, which is ok but I wasn't happy with my performance. Having said that, Gold and Silver went to 4th / 5th dan players so I shouldn't feel too bad about it, no shame losing to them.

I did pick up a rather sore rib from one of the contests in this event, a lovely sweep landed me flat, with my opponent landing on top of me.

High grade competition

Before the event, the plan was to take part in the high grade (3rd dan category) event in the afternoon. Feeling downbeat after my morning performance I nearly withdrew from the high grade section, had I not won a contest in that one I probably would've done withdrawn I think. 

I wasn't fighting at my best by a long shot, perhaps 3 years or so with no competition contributed to that. Being hugely out of shape (after not getting back to proper training after my hip surgery a couple of years ago) didn't help either.

My group was one of first on in the morning, in the afternoon the 3rd dans were one of the last groups, so plenty of time to cool down and stiffen up. Which I did.

There were 5 competitors in the 3rd dan section, so 4 fights from which I wanted to gain 20 points (which would see my point collecting for 4th dan complete).

First contest
My first contest seemed like a routine win for my opponent (James Hornsby, Ryecroft). I managed to ride a couple of attacks but ended up getting dumped for ippon, o soto I think.

Contest 2
Contest 2 was rather more successful, taking advantage of going to ground I worked to one of my favourite holds, Tate Shiho Gatame. He put up strong resistance, but ultimately surrendered.

Contest 3
Contest 3 was over quite quickly, not in my favour. Thrown for ippon with a quick drop seoi nage (seoi otoshi). This was against a chap called Kern Foot (Shepton club). I often feel disappointed when I lose, but when I get thrown so cleanly as in this case and there is no grey area at all in the score it's much easier to accept. He is better than me.

Contest 4
Contest 4 was to be my last chance. I came to this event looking for 20 points. Medals are nice, but the points were the goal. At this point I needed 10 points, an ippon win, and I'd have enough points for my fourth dan.

So while I was feeling downbeat by my performances up to this point, I had a surge of enthusiasm and adrenaline. This was it - my fourth dan is there for the taking I just have to beat this guy in front of me.

I forget how we got there, but we ended up with him pinning me down at one point, not where I wanted to be. I managed to reverse the hold, turned him over and secured my hold. I used every trick I could think of to make myself feel as heavy as possible and squeeze the air out of him. No way was I going to let this chance go.

After a short period the ref calls ippon. I don't know why at this point. I assumed it was because of the action that put us on the floor. Turns out he tapped from the hold.

There it is, 4th dan points complete!!

Points complete!

Coming off the mat after that last contest I had such a feeling of relief, I'd finally achieved what had felt like it was just a dream for so long.

It had been 7 years since my 3rd dan promotion, in that time I'd got my referee National B badge, changed cars twice, had lots of physio (knees, hips, shoulders), surgery on my hip, run the London Marathon and changed job 4 times.

That really puts into perspective, I think, the effort needed to get where I am in Judo. Not bad for someone who has not really had a long term consistent coach.

All that is left is to look at the theory side of things, then I can make the grade official. That will have to wait until these aches ease off!

Comments

Popular Posts