One step closer to my next reffing badge

So the weekend went well enough. The hotel could have been better, good enough, but I rarely sleep well away from home. That was certainly the case this weekend.

So feeling tired and drained I went along to another referee course. This time it was the start of my preparation for the national A badge. So of course being tired wasn't the best start.

I went on this course expecting some training on referee decision process and the Judo rulebook. I expected to go along to find out 'what next' on my road towards the A referee badge.

We spent some time looking at responsibilities of of an A badge holder, providing support and guidance to less experienced refs also responsibilities as RIC at events.

We discussed rules and current interpretations, along with looking at some videos and discussing decisions on how to handle a particular situation. That was an interesting exercise.

Then came the surprise part of the course....

Tutor: here's a sheet of paper to write your answers on
Me: answers?
Tutor: to the video exam

Yup, it looks like I'm sitting an exam based on reviewing video replays. Fine.
Turns out 9/10 is a pass. So that's a relief.

Then, apparently we are to take another exam. This time an oral exam on the current rules / interpretation of rules. Of course I knew there would be an exam (or 3) before I could qualify as a nation A ref, I just didn't expect it this weekend. So hadn't prepared as well as I would have liked.

Needless to say I was more than a little nervous heading into that exam, facing a panel of 2 very senior refs who also happen to be very senior Judo grades (both wear the red & white belt I believe).

Turns out I did enough in that interview. They passed me on that exam too.

So now, as I understand it, all I have to do is an assessment at some point as I referee at a high level (national level) competition. So as well as the pressure from some very experienced players and coaches who probably know Judo better than I, I will have the pressure of an exam situation and some senior refs watching my every move.

Yeah, that's going to be a fun day out!

Comments

Popular Posts