An idea for improving my reffing

 I have posted a few times about my fledgling Judo referee career, such as it is. 

I'm on "the programme" for the BJA A badge, so I'm not doing too badly. Time will tell if I ever get there!

That's not what this post is about, will I get my badge or not? No. This post is about how to improve as a referee.

At higher level events it seems the lines between decisions tend to be finer but also the action is faster than recreation level, of course.

Now, anyone who has attended a referee seminar will know how videos and asking for opinion on them can split the room. Even when it's a room full of senior referees (national and international).

Now add in a view from another angle and a bunch of decisions based on that video would be in doubt.

So we know a decision can be (very) different depending on view the referee / judge had of the action.

Now a number of referees like to put a camera on the judges table at some events so they can review the action and their decisions later. No doubt this is a good idea, the problem comes about because the ref, when making decisions, won't have the same view as they did when they made the decision.

This is part and parcel of Judo, decisions of central referee can be overturned by judges using the same view as that camera.

If there's a quiet moment in the competition the referee can sometime get to review the action from the judges view. However, what about his own view?

From his view on the other side of the action, would he still score it the same?

No way knowing. Until now....!

Browsing on Amazon as I do, I came across a head mounted camera that should give a decent recording of the view the referee based their decision on.... besides the issue of looking like a ... berk.

I wonder how lead referees would react to being asked if I could wear this thing in the middle of the Judo mat?

I think I know the answer! 🤪 🤪


 

Should you fancy trying one yourself, you can buy from Amazon here:

 


Comments

Popular Posts