World Masters 2009

So it seems the IJF world masters event is being held in Germany this year (2009).
http://www.wcjudo2009.de./index.en.php
Sindelfingen (Germany) from May 28th until 31st.

As I'm actually eligible to enter, I think it would be a great experience for me. Even if I don't get anywhere in the results table the experience should be good and imagine being able to say you competed internationally/represented you country! That would be awesome!

27th May: Arrive Stuttgart
28th May: Weigh in
29th May: M1 competition
30th May: Home

Here comes the problem, cost.

The masters squad have no central funding from BJA/Lotto etc so I would have to pay for everything myself so:

Entry fee: 100Euro
Hotel (minimum): 3x90 = 270Euro (double room for me + partner based on info on website above)
Flights: ~£85 (plus taxes/extras) from Birmingham with Flybe for me + partner (skyscanner.net)
Insurance: £25 ??? Going to cost a bit more than regular holiday insurance because of higher risk.

370E + £110
Plus any taxes added by airport, cost of extra baggage (Judo kits), getting to venue from Stuttgart airport, food + drink during travel + in Germany.

So if I'm really careful, I reckon I could do it for £550. Shame I don't have that sort of money available.

Then there are the optional items:
30E Personalized badges for back of Judo kits
40E Merchendise/momento pack (t-shirt / diploma / pin / lanyard and a special WC-gift)
20E Fighters party ticket (+ drinks and would mean another hotel night if attend)
25E ish if find a few other people there to put together a team entry (may mean another hotel night)


While I'd love to go, I can't afford to spend that much to attend an event where there is a good chance I wouldn't get very far in the competition.

Really disappointing as I've earnt the right to attend as British representative and that aint gonna happen every year!

Comments

Popular Posts