Women's initiative

I'm all for helping more people enjoy Judo, so long as it remains Judo. Recently the BJA have been really pushing their women's initiative, getting more women into the sport and providing more and more women only events/sessions.

I guess the drive behind these events is to try and get more ladies attending.

I find myself wondering however, having recently spotted a 'womens grading' which is being sold to women using the point that all the officials will be women. I'd be interested to hear from you ladies out there what you think, is this really helpful for you?

To me it seems like little more than a way to say "we are promoting womens Judo" when in fact once someone gets to brown belt and decides to fight for dan grade they are settled enough in Judo that I wouldn't have thought a women's grading would make any difference. For the lower grades, they can be grading within the club they practice at so why would they travel?

Am I missing the point?

Comments

Dr. AnnMaria said…
I was just at the All Women's Tournament in Las Vegas. The officials aren't all women, but the competitors are. Men can participate in the athlete clinic,this year done by Lynn Roethke, Olympic silver medalist. Men can also coach and referee. So, maybe a better name is the Mostly Women's Tournament. This tournament has more female referees than usual, more female competitors than usual and more females running the tournament.

It is just something a little different. My youngest daughter, age 11, has competed in three of these in 7 years of judo. She enjoyed each one very much.

So, I don't know whether it is "needed", but it is a nice change of pace and everyone enjoyed it. Also, you saw some women stepping up and taking leadership in areas they usually do not, e.g., head referee, tournament director, so that was all good, too.

Popular Posts