Finally got my Judo competition software underway...

Ages ago I decided it might be useful to have a go at writing an application to help with management of Judo competitions. Now I am getting more experience behind the scenes of events to get a feel for requirements I feel I'm in a better position to get going with it.

It's going to take me a while to nail down the appropriate data structures I suspect... though again I suspect this is just a matter of gaining experience running events.

Writing it in Java/Spring/Hibernate. At first I was planning on PHP/MySQL and to run it as an extension of functionality behind www.yhjudo.org.uk. Even though event organisers seem reluctant to use the online entry system I have in there, the functionality is there (just needs switching on, on a per event basis).

Decided to write it as a new application from the ground up to keep the two projects separate for ease of maintenance. I can always setup some networked data loading from the website by the new competition software, probably an asynchronous call answered with XML or JSON but I haven't decided for sure yet. I suspect JSON will win out.

So I throw the call out there... what features would you want from an application built to manage Judo events? My first thoughts follow....
  • online entries would be a given, quite possibly by a different system (yhjudo website, existing onlineentries.co.uk system if I can bring those guys on board) and loaded either over the air or perhaps by a one hit import from XML/CSV etc.
  • Manage competitors - recording their weigh in/licence exp date etc
  • auto populate pools/knockout sheets - this need more learning from me on processes but should be doable
  • either print a sheet to send to a table to run or provide an interface to be run on laptops at each table. The former is easier to start with, latter I envisage being much more useful (auto update the main database as event progresses)
  • able to print result sheets for submission to BJA and/or website(s)
  • auto update websites as event progresses - RSS?
  • provide a public view for people to see what is happening/who is where. This could even go down to who is on which mat if the tables record things directly into the system via networked computers

Comments

Popular Posts