Timekeeping

With my body creaking at the seams and being involved in the area committee I figure it's time to extend my Judo further into the world of officiating. Yesterday at the North of England split grade competition in Bradford as well as fighting (need 40 points still for 3rd dan) I had a go at timekeeping on the table.

Good job I did too as we seemed to be rather short of volunteers again :( Quite the experience. All so clear and obvious what buttons to press, until that is the ref calls matte-shido-hajime-yuko-osaekomi-toketa-matte all in very quick succession! End up tying my fingers in knots!

The refs were patient with mistakes and supportive which was a relief and the recorder on my table was also very considerate in helping me out when mistakes happened.

Any parents/coaches out there that find they are sat around for ages waiting for their guys to to be called to the mat, try helping out your local area. I don't think you need particular Judo qualifications to be a timekeeper and you can be sure the competition organisers will welcome you with open arms if you say you want to help! :)

Comments

Popular Posts